DICA is committed to improving the quality of life on our islands, and creating value for our members & residents. All residents are invited to join!
The Green Initiative partners with businesses & residents to promote best practices that reduce waste that ends up in our streets, waterways and landfills. These include reducing/eliminating:
- Single use plastics — straws/plates/utensils/bags
- Polystyrene Containers — cups and “To Go” containers
- Yard waste and runoff
• Read our column in the Aug 2021 edition of Davis Islands Living.
• If you have questions about a tree’s removal or pruning, call City of Tampa’s Tree Hotline 813-259-1664.
• Homeowner’s Guide for Going Green
• The Business Case for Going Green
• Top 10 Home Energy Saving Tips
Resident Best Practices
- Bringing cloth bags when we shop
- Recycling plastic bags when provided
- Not requesting straws / using recyclable straws
- Adopting the 4 Rs of plastic elimination: Refuse, Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
- Practicing thoughtful landscaping. Embrace organic lawn maintenance practices and use native or Florida-friendly plants to reduce toxic pesticides, nutrient run-off, and irrigation needs.
- Connect to reclaimed water for irrigation if not already.
- Employ landscape care professionals who compost waste or remove excess waste to landfills, instead of blowing it into streets or stormwater drains.
- Supporting our businesses that have taken and embraced our pledge as partners.
- Encouraging / working with the City of Tampa to promote commercial recycling for our businesses.
Business Best Practices
• Use Best Efforts to eliminate single use plastics from your business
• Replace plastic take-out bags with paper.
• Train staff to ask patrons if they want a bag before providing one
• Replace plastic straws, stirs, glasses, plates and utensils with bio-degradable
• If not practical offer straws and stirs only on request
• Train staff to inquire if utensils are needed for take home meals
• Replace polystyrene take home containers/cups with biodegradable
• Consider a small discount for initial drink servings if patrons bring their own cup (nonalcohol of course)
• Provide/encourage all employees to have their own re-useable water bottle/cups
• Avoid use of harsh chemicals
• Re-use/recycle plastics used in your business (hangers/bags etc.)
• Provide patrons with ability to purchase re-useable bags/straws
• Engage landscapers who will commit to bagging refuse – not blowing into storm drains
• Engage other service providers who embrace organic lawn maintenance practices to reduce toxic pesticides
Disposal of Hazardous Waste
List of DI Green Businesses
- Davis Islands Animal Clinic, 225 E Davis Blvd email@example.com 813-251-4384.
- Davis Islands Garden Club, 81 Columbia Dr.
- Davis Islands Pharmacy, 232 E Davis Blvd.
- Davis Islands Yacht Club, 1315 Severn Ave.
- Fisher & Associates, 229 E Davis Blvd.
- Frijouf, Rust, & Pyle, 201 E Davis Blvd.
- Hudson Manor, 115 E Davis Blvd.
- Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes, 25 Davis Blvd.
- Molly Malone’s Pub, 304 E Davis Blvd.
- Oggi Italian Restaurant, 236 E Davis Blvd.
- Oggi Pizzeria & Market, 218 E Davis Blvd.
- Pioneer Cleaners, 238 E Davis Blvd #101.
- Proforma, 205 E Davis Blvd.
- Richard A. Bokor, Esq, 230 E Davis Blvd.
- TeBella Tea Company, 227 E Davis Blvd.
To join our Green Initiative, Contact Bob Abberger at firstname.lastname@example.org