Davis Islands Civic Association is committed to improving the quality of life on our islands, and creating value for our members & residents.
The Green Initiative works to partner with both Businesses and residents to promote best practices that will reduce waste that ends up in our streets, waterways and landfills, and to promote the adoption of business practices that will help reduce/eliminate:
- Single use plastics — straws/plates/utensils/bags
- Polystyrene Containers — cups and “To Go” containers
- Yard waste and runoff
We encourage all residents to join us, and help by:
- Bringing cloth bags when we shop
- Recycling plastic bags when provided
- Not requesting straws / using recyclable straws
- Adopting the 4 Rs of plastic elimination: Refuse, Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
- Practicing thoughtful landscaping. Embrace organic lawn maintenance practices and use native or Florida-friendly plants to reduce toxic pesticides, nutrient run-off, and irrigation needs.
- Connect to reclaimed water for irrigation if not already.
- Employ landscape care professionals who compost waste or remove excess waste to landfills, instead of blowing it into streets or stormwater drains.
- Supporting our businesses that have taken and embraced our pledge as partners.
- Encouraging / working with the City of Tampa to promote commercial recycling for our businesses.
We provide educational materials and resources to our members, and work with our elected officials to further promote recycling & best practices throughout our community.Live Updates
• Homeowner’s Guide for Going Green
• The Business Case for Going Green
• Top 10 Home Energy Saving Tips
• Replace plastic take-out bags with paper
• Train staff to ask patrons if they want a bag before providing one
• Replace plastic straws, stirs, glasses, plates and utensils with bio-degradable
• If not practical offer straws and stirs only on request
• Train staff to inquire if utensils are needed for take home meals
• Replace polystyrene take home containers/cups with biodegradable
• Consider a small discount for initial drink servings if patrons bring their own cup (nonalcohol of course)
• Provide/encourage all employees to have their own re-useable water bottle/cups
• Avoid use of harsh chemicals
• Re-use/recycle plastics used in your business (hangers/bags etc.)
• Provide patrons with ability to purchase re-useable bags/straws
• Engage landscapers who will commit to bagging refuse – not blowing into storm drains
• Engage other service providers who embrace organic lawn maintenance practices to reduce toxic pesticides
Disposal of Hazardous Waste
DI Green Businesses
- Davis Islands Animal Clinic, 225 E Davis Blvd firstname.lastname@example.org 813-251-4384.
- Davis Islands Garden Club, 81 Columbia Dr. email@example.com 813- 251-3123.
- Davis Islands Pharmacy, 232 E Davis Blvd. firstname.lastname@example.org 813-254-1888.
- Davis Islands Yacht Club, 1315 Severn Ave. email@example.com 813-251-1158.
- Fisher & Associates, 229 E Davis Blvd. firstname.lastname@example.org 813-251-1638.
- Frijouf, Rust, & Pyle, 201 E Davis Blvd. email@example.com 813-254-5100.
- Hudson Manor, 115 E Davis Blvd. firstname.lastname@example.org 813-254-8399.
- Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes, 25 Davis Blvd. email@example.com 813-253-0453.
- Molly Malone’s Pub, 304 E Davis Blvd. firstname.lastname@example.org 813-304-2777.
- Oggi Italian Restaurant, 236 E Davis Blvd. email@example.com 813-252-7778.
- Oggi Pizzeria & Market, 218 E Davis Blvd. firstname.lastname@example.org 813-252-7778.
- Pascal’s Restaurant, 241 E Davis Blvd. email@example.com 813-513-5478.
- Pioneer Cleaners, 238 E Davis Blvd #101. 813-253-3323.
- Proforma, 205 E Davis Blvd. firstname.lastname@example.org 813-458-1036.
- Richard A. Bokor, Esq, 230 E Davis Blvd. email@example.com 813-251-1000.
- TeBella Tea Company, 227 E Davis Blvd firstname.lastname@example.org 813-254-1212.
To join our Green Initiative, Contact Bob Abberger at email@example.com